Working with Trauma and Abuse in Play Therapy
April 2, 2021$35 - $200
This course will explore the impact of trauma and abuse on their clients and how to effectively use play therapy to address these concerns. Clinicians will learn the importance of enhancing the safety in the play therapy room in order to work with clients experiencing trauma. Developmental issues with be explored as well as working the brain that has experienced trauma. Various techniques and their application to play therapy will be explored.
- Explain the definition of trauma and abuse as well as describe 2 or more behaviors or play themes that are common in trauma and abuse.
- Analyze 2 or more ways various trauma experiences impact play therapy clients- observing single vs. complex trauma, nature of the crisis, characteristics of the individual, and client support system.
- Describe the concept of creating a ‘safe place’ in the therapy room and identify 3 or more play therapy techniques to achieve this goal.
- Describe and utilize the ACE study in working with play therapy clients and identify 3 or more ways its’ impact can be used in explaining trauma to parents, guardians, clients, and the community at large.
- Compare 2 or more ways how play may look different for a child that has experienced trauma or abuse.
- Demonstrate 3 or more play therapy techniques and applications to use with clients that have experienced abuse and/or trauma.
- Describe 2 or more theoretical approaches that can be utilized in the treatment of trauma and abuse through play therapy.
- Demonstrate 2 or more play therapy techniques and applications to use with clients how have experienced grief/loss.
- Demonstrate 2 or more play therapy techniques and applications to use with clients who have experienced divorce.
Friday Schedule: Training 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM (15 minute breaks at 2:45 PM and 7 PM, 30 minute break at 4:45 PM)
*Must be present the whole training, no partial credit given. Cancelations received at least 5 days prior to schedule training are refundable less a $35 administration fee. Cancellations within 5 days prior to scheduled training or missed trainings (no shows) will not be given a refund. Play therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.